Friday, January 29, 2010

The Grand Inquest - A Call to Arms!


"Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision. The ability to direct individual accomplishments toward organizational objectives. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results." Andrew Carnegie






The idea behind this web project is to gather as much information as possible regarding possible sources of arsenic exposure so that we can (1) make informed decisions regarding products we purchase for ourselves and our families, and (2) use and dispose of these products in a safe manner.    This web page is only as good as its information.  And, as Andrew Carnegie said, "teamwork . . .is the fuel that allows common people to obtain uncomon results." To that end, I would like to issue a challenge:  I've begun emailing companies whose products I use to gather more information about the product's arsenic content.   I am challenging everyone to reach out to the manufacturers of the products you buy and do the same.  By working together, we can reach many more companies than any one of us alone. 
 
Thus far, I've sent inquiries to Johnson and Johnson, Ford, La-Z-Boy and the Gap.  A company will generally have contact information on its web page. You could contact the company via email, snail mail or telephone, depending on your preference. I will be posting the results of any inquiries on this page. I'll also compile a list of all of the companies contacted to avoid duplicating our efforts.  Please keep me apprised of all responses, including a manufacturer's failure to respond.

My inquiries to Johnson and Johnson, Ford, La-Z-Boy and Gap focused on the use of arsenic based microbials in their products, and went something like this:
To Whom It May Concern: I frequently purchase clothing and outerwear items from the Gap and its affiliates.  To better educate myself regarding the products I use and purchase, I would like to know which, if any, Gap products (including footwear and outerwear) contain arsenic based microbials. Examples include Oxybisphenoxarsine (OBPA), Vinyzene, Intercide ABF and Acticide. Please let me know if you have any questions. Regards, A. Sincare

An inquiry regarding the use of arsenic in meat would go something like this:
To Whom It May Concern: My family and I are loyal Thorn Apple Valley customers.  To better educate myself regarding the products I purchase for my family's consumption, I would like to receive information regarding Thorn Apple Valley's (including any supplier's) use of arsenic-based products in animal feed.  Examples include Arsanilic Acid, Roxarsone, Carbarsone and 4 Hydroxy 3 Nitrobenzenearsonic Acid, among others.   Please let me know if you have further questions.  Regards, A. Sincare

So, feel free to copy, paste and inquire away! If you are interested in a sample request for a different type of product, just ask.  I look forward sharing the results of the grand inquest!

Cheers and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment